24 hrs 45 mins
This is an adaptation of an Alton Brown recipe from foodnetwork.com. I experimented with it; the first time I halved the amount of yogurt, but used the original amounts of lemon juice and ginger. Too fiery for us! Now I use just enough ginger to give it flavor, but the lemon predominates. The crystallized ginger gives it that ginger "pop." The 'Zaar nutritional information may be off -- I use Fage Total Nonfat Yogurt, which means a 1/2 cup portion is 87 calories, 0 g. fat (2 WW points).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups plain yogurt (plain, I use Fage Total nonfat yogurt)
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup (light)
- 3/8 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (fresh)
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel (finely grated)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (fresh, finely minced or grated)
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger (I use The Ginger People's crystallized ginger chips)
- 1If you use Greek strained yogurt, you don't need to do this step. If you use regular supermarket plain yogurt, it's a good idea to place it in a colander lined with cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Drain it for 12 hours in the refrigerator. When you're ready to make the yogurt base, throw out the liquid in the bowl and use the strained yogurt.
- 2Combine yogurt, corn syrup, sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, and fresh ginger. You can mix it in a blender or food processor, or just mix it by hand. Refrigerate overnight.
- 3Transfer to your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- 4A few minutes before the yogurt is done, add the crystallized ginger chips. (If chips are on the large size, run 'em through a mini-chop before you blend them into the yogurt.).
- 5You can serve immediately, or pop it back in to the freezer for two hours and then serve.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon-Ginger Frozen Yogurt - 2 Ww Points
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.9
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.9 mg
- Sodium 63.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: