Recipe by MarraMamba
A terrific chinese dish from Barbara Fisher of tigersandstrawberries blog. Not sickly sweet just a great balance of flavors
Top Review by Sydney Mike
VERY, VERY NICE TASTING! Lemon, ginger, chicken, broccoli ~ That really says it all for me, since the making of this recipe melds those flavors so nicely! The prep took me a bit longer than indicated, but I needed things in place & ready so that all would go smoothly, which it did! I look forward to making this dish again & again ~ Many thanks for sharing it! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Gimme 5 tag]
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine or 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil or 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 scallions, white and light green parts only cut thinly on the bias
- 3 inches cube fresh ginger, peeled and cut into fine julienne
- 2 ripe red fresno chili peppers, sliced thinly on the bias (or jalapeno)
- 2 lemons, zest of, in long, thin pieces, and divided into two equal portions
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine or 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 -2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 lb broccoli, florets broken up into bite sized pieces, with the large stalks peeled and cut into thin slices juic
- 1 lemon, washed and cut in half longitudinally then cut into 1/4 inch thick half-moon slices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix chicken with the next five ingredients, and allow to marinate for twenty to forty minutes.
- Heat wok over high heat until a thin thread of smoke rises. Add 3 tablespoons peanut or canola oil (reserve last tablespoon until later) and allow to heat another thirty seconds. Add scallions, ginger, chilies and half of the lemon zest and stir fry for thirty to forty seconds, or until all is fragrant.
- Add marinated chicken, and spread into a single layer on the bottom of the wok, and leave undisturbed for about one minute, or until the chicken browns on that side. Stir fry until the chicken is 2/3 done–in other words, 2/3 of the chicken is white or brown, and the rest is pink. Add half the lemon slices and stir fry for another thirty seconds, then remove chicken and lemon from wok to a clean bowl.
- Add reserved tablespoon of oil to wok, and allow it to heat thirty seconds. Add broccoli and stir fry for thirty seconds, then add wine and lemon juice. Deglaze any browned bits sticking to wok, and add chicken back to wok. Add soy sauce and continue stir frying until chicken is completely cooked. Add other half of lemon zest and slices, and drizzle with sesame oil, and serve over steamed rice.