1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is posted in response to a request.Whenever you serve this lightly spiced, moist buttermilk layer cake you'll turn dessert into a celebration. The spices in the cake mellow as it stands, so it's even better the day after baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room-temperature (1 ; 1/2 sticks)
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1For Cake: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter two 9-inch diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides.
- 3Line bottom of pans with waxed paper; butter paper.
- 4Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until well blended.
- 5Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 6Mix in lemon juice, lemon peel and vanilla (mixture may look curdled).
- 7Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt into medium bowl; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions each, beginning with dry ingredients.
- 8Divide batter equally between prepared pans.
- 9Bake until golden brown and tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- 10Transfer pans to racks.
- 11Cool 10 minutes.
- 12Using small sharp knife, cut around sides of pan to loosen cakes.
- 13Turn out cakes onto racks and cool completely.
- 14Peel off waxed paper.
- 15(Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Wrap tightly in plastic and store at room temperature.) For Frosting: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter lemon juice, 2 teaspoons lemon peel and vanilla in large bowl until smooth.
- 16Add powdered sugar and beat until frosting is smooth.
- 17Place 1 cake layer on platter.
- 18Spread 1 cup frosting over top.
- 19Place remaining cake layer atop.
- 20Using icing spatula, spread remaining frosting over sides and top of cake in decorative swirls.
- 21Sprinkle top of cake with remaining 1 teaspoon lemon peel.
- 22(Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover with cake dome and refrigerate. Let cake stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Ginger Cake W/ Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (2719 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 9680.4
- Calories from Fat 4121
- Total Fat 457.9 g
- Saturated Fat 281.1 g
- Cholesterol 2055.3 mg
- Sodium 4370.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1328.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 979.9 g
- Protein 96.8 g