Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
these are delicious. and make a lovely gift. put some in a coffee mug and tie the recipe to the handle. this is from cooking light.
- 591.47 ml flour
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml chopped crystallized ginger
- 29.58 ml grated fresh lemon rind
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- cooking spray
- 14.79 ml water
- 1 egg white
- 14.79 ml sugar
- preheat oven to 350 combine flour, sugar, baking soda, ginger and salt in a large bowl.
- stir in crystallized ginger.
- mix lemon rind, lemon juice and eggs together and stir into flour mixture.
- the dough will be crumbly.
- turn dough out to a lightly floured surface, knead 7-8 times.
- divide dough in half.
- shape each half into a log.
- spray a cookie sheet with non stick spray, place logs 6" apart.
- combine water and eggwhite and brush over tops.
- sprinkle with sugar.
- bake for 20 minutes.
- remove to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- slice each log diagonally into 3/4" slices.
- place back on baking sheet, upright.
- lower oven to 325.
- bake 20 minutes, remove to a wire rack, cool.
Yummy Biscotti's, no fat, this is the first time that I have made biscotti's that didn't have either butter or oil in them. They have a nice lemon flavor with the hint of ginger, we love ginger. This recipe will go into my Biscotti cookbook. Thank you Chia.
I regularly volunteer for the Molly Brown House in Denver and bake pastries for the afternoon teas. These biscotti are perfect dipped in a cup of tea. I used fresh grated ginger instead of ground to up the ginger spice a little. Because the dough is sticky, I put the mixing bowl of dough in the fridge for about half an hour before trying to handle it. I shaped four smaller logs by hand (and I kept wetting my hands to keep them from sticking) to make mini-biscotti which when sliced diagonally were about four inches long. These are very pretty and tasty accompaniments to coffee and tea!
These are nice with tea. Like some other reviewers, I needed to bake these a bit longer than specified.