Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Another upside-down cake recipe passed on to me by a friend! This one I haven't yet made, but from the looks of the recipe, it should taste wonderful!
- 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup whole almond
- 1 1⁄2 inches gingerroot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Finely grate lemons for zest, then set zest aside. Remove white pith from lemons, then thinly slice, discarding seeds.
- Coat 9"x9" cake pan with cooking spray.
- Pour in melted butter, then arrange lemon slices in concentric pattern over butter.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar & slivered almonds.
- In food processor, combine whole almonds, reserved lemon zest & ginger, then pulse until combined & slightly moist.
- In large bowl combine butter & sugar, beating with mixer at medium speed until fluffy.
- Add egg & extracts & beat until blended.
- In another bowl sift or wisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating at low speed after each addition.
- Stir in almond mixture, then pour batter on top of lemons.
- Bake 25-35 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven & cool 5 minutes on wire rack, before inverting onto serving plate.
for Mother-day I got "your" cake from my children! It was delicious and fresh!
This was a real challange for them preparing this alone (english is not our motherlanguage) and with a new technique! Your explanations were clear and the cake came out really good!
Thanks a lot for your always wonderful recipes.
this cake has extreme flavor, my DH who is a lemon-lover absolutely loved this, I did make a few minor changes, I omitted the vanilla and used 1 teaspoon almond extract, increased the sugar in the cake slightly, this is a cake I will make again, thanks for sharing Syd!