Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
I needed an egg-free lemon cake recipe for Easter this year. I found a vegan one on this site, but since I just needed it to be egg-free, I added the dairy back in. I am really pleased with how this turned out.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 minced lemon, zest of
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 24 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 5 lemons, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- For the cake:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 9" round pans.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter, water, and lemon juice and beat on medium for one minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium for one minute more.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool thoroughly before filling and frosting.
- For the frosting:.
- Combine the mascarpone cheese, lemon juice, and powdered sugar in a bowl and beat on high until thoroughly combined and medium peaks form.
- Use it to fill and frost the cake.