Recipe by Kozmic Blues
These are sunny, bright and FULL of amazing lemony flavor! Are are 100% vegan! From: Veganomicon, The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook. This recipe uses rice milk for the cakes and soy milk for the frosting. I have made them using soy milk in BOTH, and they turned out just fine!
- 314.66 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 158.51 ml sugar, plus
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml rice milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 59.14 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml lemon zest
- 59.14 ml vegan margarine, softened (non hydrogenated)
- 59.14 ml soymilk
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 473.18 ml confectioners' sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 12 muffing tin with paper liners.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, sugar, rice milk, vanilla, lemon juice, and zest.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until smooth.
- Fill each muffin tin about 2/3 full.
- Bake cupcakes for 17-20 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from muffin tin, and place on wire cooling rack.
- Frost when fully cooled.
- For the frosting: Beat the margarine with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Stir in soy milk and lemon juice.
- Add confectioners sugar and mix until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes.