1/1 Photo of Lemon Gelato (for ice cream machine)
18 hrs 20 mins
This recipe is from Meredith Kurtzman, "Otto" restaurant. It was printed in the June 2, 2003 issue of NY Magazine ("Italian Summer Pleasures from Antipasto to Gelato"). The Prep time includes all chilling/freezing times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat milk in sauce pan to a simmer.
- 2Put the lemon zest and vanilla bean in a bowl, and add the hot milk.
- 3When cool, cover and allow to infuse for about 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- 4Strain the milk into a sauce pan, add half the sugar, and bring to a simmer.
- 5Whisk the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until combined.
- 6Gradually dribble the hot milk into the egg yolks, half a cup at a time, whisking to heat the yolks without cooking them.
- 7When all the milk has been added, cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring continuously, for about 4 to 5 minutes or until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and leave a trail when a finger is run over the spoon (Don't overcook the eggs; doing so will change the flavor of the gelato).
- 8Stir in a pinch of salt, and straininto a heatproof bowl set over ice.
- 9Cover, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 10Transfer mixture to an ice cream machine, and process according to directions.
- 11Transfer gelato to a container and return to freezer for about 2 hours.
- 12Serve in chilled glasses.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Gelato (for ice cream machine)
Serving Size: 1 (1429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2278.3
- Calories from Fat 686
- Total Fat 76.3 g
- Saturated Fat 36.8 g
- Cholesterol 2024.6 mg
- Sodium 706.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 350.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 300.5 g
- Protein 56.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of