Prep 5 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from Taste of Home. Preparation time includes minimum freezing time.
Make and share this Lemon Gelato recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In small heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175 degrees; stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks.
- Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Add lemon peel.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160 degrees and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from heat; strain.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cream.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two thirds full, freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.
- Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Wonderful flavor and texture.
Creamy and rich without being heavy or too sweet. Nicely compliments a raspberry/black raspberry pie.