Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Refreshing simple cold salad
- 226.79 g serrano ham or 226.79 g prosciutto
- 453.59 g medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 44.37-59.16 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml minced garlic
- 2.46 ml dried red pepper flakes, to taste
- 29.58 ml dry white wine
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 14.79 ml finely grated lemon, zest of
- 14.79 ml minced fresh parsley
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 29.58 ml minced shallots
- 4.92 ml finely grated lemon, zest of
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 73.94 ml extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head red leaf lettuce or 1 head green leaf lettuce, rinsed,dried and torn into pieces
- 113.39 g manchego cheese (or Parmesan or asiago)
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- cracked black pepper (to garnish)
- Cut the ham into 1/2-inch-thick strips, about 6 inches long.
- Wrap each strip snugly around the center of each shrimp.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over high heat until very hot.
- Add the shrimp and cook until pink and opaque on the outside, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the shrimp, stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for about 30 seconds, then stir in the wine and lemon juice.
- Cook until the liquid is nearly evaporated and the shrimp are opaque throughout, about 1 minute longer.
- Take the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon zest, parsley and paprika.
- Put the shrimp in a bowl and refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- If storing for longer than 30 minutes, cover tightly once chilled.
- For the salad dressing, stir together the shallot, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking constantly, until emulsified (slightly thickened).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Put the lettuces in a large bowl, drizzle the dressing over, and toss.
- Arrange the salad on individual plates and top with the shrimp arranged in a circular fan.
- Make thin shavings of the manchego cheese using a vegetable peeler and sprinkle the cheese over the shrimp.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs and cracked pepper.
- Note: The shrimp should not be too crowded in the skillet or they won't cook as quickly and evenly as they should.
- Cook in batches, if necessary.
Oh YUM!! This is my new favourite summer time salad. Serve this to guests and they'll show up for dinner every night!
Yummmmm! Just made this to take to work an sampled a small bit. Just terrific!
This is now my official favorite salad which is odd considering it breaks all of my shrimp rules. The (former) rules are (were) that shrimp and cheese or shrimp and pork do not mix. Well, this dish violates both (former) rules and it is simply TDF. The shrimp are just marvelous and the dressing is nice and lemony and very tasty -- would be great on other salads as well. I would gladly eat this rule breaking salad on a weekly basis. And as for the recipe particulars: serrano ham and manchego cheese were used and the white wine was omitted.