Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Deliciously tender and browned roast chicken stuffed with a whole head of garlic and rubbed with an olive oil/lemon mixture. Yum!
- 4 lbs roasting chickens
- 1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 head fresh garlic, cut in half
- 1 stalk celery, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper in cavity of chicken.
- Combine garlic, onion and celery and stuff into the cavity.
- Combine lemon juice and zest with the olive oil and brush over the skin of the chicken.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in roasting pan and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until done.
- Remove from roasting pan and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Delicious!! It came out perfectly browned with nice, crispy skin. The meat was moist and very flavorful. I skimmed the fat off the pan juices and made a very tasty gravy. This recipe is definately a keeper!
Lovely flavoured roast chicken! Made it for company Sunday dinner, turned out great, so easy and so tasty!! The garlic and lemon was perfect, I served the onion, garlic and celery in the middle of the cut chicken platter, mmm mmm tasty!! Our company loved it, thanks for posting.
Lemon rubbed on roast chicken? YES! While the chicken didn't really taste "lemony", the juice gave it a nice clean and fresh flavor. I also loved the garlic which made for some delicious tasting pan juices to serve over everything on our plate. I added some quartered red potatoes to the pan and they were perfectly done at the same time as the chicken, and were delicious mashed up with those garlicky juices. I also added some dried rosemary inside the chicken and sprinkled on the top as well as on the potatoes. My DH and I smiled and toasted to you Marie; thanks for a wonderful meal!