Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a stand-by at our house. I rarely cook just "plain" rice. Goes great with chops or steak.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Saute onion and garlic in butter until soft. Add rice and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, beat together egg yolks, lemon juice, and nutmeg.
- Gradually stir egg mixture into rice, mixing well. Cover and let stand 2 to 3 minutes longer.
We enjoyed this with some lamb we were having. It was really delicious! I did leave out the nutmeg.
This rice was very good. My dh is not a rice lover, but he loves lemon risotto, so I gave this a try. He actually enjoyed it. I knew I would like it, but sometimes he can be pretty picky. I didn't have long grain rice, so I just used two cups of instant rice instead, and it came out perfect. Thanks for posting!
I tried, I liked, third time I loved!I used Sysco chicken base and water for the chicken broth and added a frozen ice cube of homemade broth. I also used Calrose rice, not long grain. I am a fan of white pepper and lemon juice. This recipe is great with fish also. Thanks for posting!