1/1 Photo of Lemon-Garlic Asparagus With Red Pepper
A light recipe that brings out the fresh flavor of asparagus. Came up with this for Christmas dinner - it looked festive and was a nice foil for all the richer dishes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil.
- 2Trim tough ends from asparagus, then cut into 1.5 - 2 inch lengths (I cut mine into thirds and that was about right). Cut red bell pepper into 1.5 - 2 inch strips.
- 3Add asparagus to boiling salted water and bring back to a boil. Boil for 1-3 minutes, depending on thickness of asparagus (you want it to be a little crunchy but not raw).
- 4Remove asparagus from boiling water and plunge it into a bowl of ice and water. This 'shocks' the asparagus and stops the cooking while retaining the bright green color. After asparagus has cooled, remove it from the ice water (you can now store it in a closed container in the fridge for up to 4 days).
- 5Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and red bell pepper and saute for 2 minutes (don't allow the garlic to brown - it will turn bitter). Add asparagus and toss to coat with the oil. When asparagus is heated through, remove from heat and add lemon zest and salt & pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon-Garlic Asparagus With Red Pepper
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.9
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 2.8 g