Prep 30 mins
Cook 22 mins
Spicy and cake-like bars with a yummy lemon frosting. These are kind of like Sicilian Fig Cookies, just in a different form; if you like the cookies, you'll like these too.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dried figs, chopped (stems removed, 1 8 oz. package)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the butter and brown sugar until creamy; scrape sides of bowl.
- Add the molasses, milk, and eggs; blend until smooth and well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture until well blended, reducing the mixer speed to low for this addition.
- Gently stir in the figs and walnuts by hand.
- Spread the batter evenly into a greased 13x9" baking pan.
- Bake for 22-27 minutes, or until a toothpick tests out clean.
- Cool completely.
- FROSTING: Combine all the frosting ingredients, except the lemon juice, in a small bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed, adding enough lemon juice to reach desired spreading consistency.
- Frost the cooled bars; sprinkle with additional grated lemon zest, if desired.
- Cut into bars.