Recipe by manushag
This is a lemony tart and sweet dessert. Looks pretty in parfait glasses with raspberries and whipped cream. Cooking time is cooling time. Original recipe called for whipping egg whites until stiff and folding into cooled lemon mixture, but I have eliminated that step for safetys sake. It doesn't really alter the flavor at all, just the texture. Now I freeze the egg whites and save them for a meringe or Angel Food cake.
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute or 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 ounces Cool Whip or 2 cups whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix spenda and cornstarch with a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan.
- Add water and cook over medium heat, stirring with a whisk, until thick.
- Beat egg yoks in a small bowl and add some of the sugar mixture a tbl at a time and then pour all back into saucepan, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Add butter, zest and lemon juice.
- Cool completely.
- Fold in 1/2 container of Cool Whip.or whipped cream.
- Pour into serving dishes and serve with berries and top with more whipped cream or Cool Whip.