Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This lovely recipe came from the Wildflower Inn Bed and Breakfast in Falmouth, Massachusetts.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup fresh fresh edible flower, petals only, pulled apart (young dandelion, tulip, rose, rose of Sharon, orange blossoms, apple blossoms, lilac, honeysuckle, b)
- 1 cup blueberries (or blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc.)
- 1 -3 teaspoon water, if needed
- 2 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- lemon juice (optional)
- cornstarch (optional)
- With an electric mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar 3 to 4 minutes until thick and lemon colored. Set the whites aside. Whisk the yogurt, milk, lemon extract, and lemon zest into the egg yolk mixture. Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl and reserve. Using clean beaters, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Whisk the dry ingredients into the liquid just until smooth. Fold in the egg whites.
- Cook pancakes on preheated greased griddle until top bubbles, flip gently, and cook about 1 more minute. Make 3 to 4 inch pancakes. Do not overcook; they should be lightly browned. Wash flower petals thoroughly. Make sure there are no bugs hiding in your flowers. Pull apart flower petals into small pieces. Fold into batter.
- Berry sauce:.
- Wash and clean stems from berries. Warm the fresh berries in a saucepan on low heat with a little sugar until the berries throw off their liquid. Add a few drops of water if needed. Frozen blueberries may be used; heat frozen berries and add a little lemon juice if they are too sweet. Thicken with cornstarch if needed.
- To Serve:
- Put lemon slice on plate, place a dollop of freshly whipped cream on top of lemon slice, then with scissors cut tiny pieces of edible flower petals used in pancake over the whipped cream. Stick a leaf of lemon verbena or lemon balm in whipped cream for additional garnish. You may add a whole flower on the side. Enjoy!