Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Cooking Light (May 2000).
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flax seeds or 6 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat an 8x4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar.
- Set pan aside.
- If using whole flax seed, place in a blender or clean coffee grinder, and process until ground; set aside.
- Combine 1 cup granulated sugar and eggs in a large bowl; beat for 3 minutes or until mixture is thick and pale.
- Combine flax seed meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; whisk well.
- Combine buttermilk, oil, rind, and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternating with buttermilk mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice; drizzle over top of loaf.