Recipe by Chocolatl
Adapted from Pan American's Complete Round the World Cookbook. I've reduced the cooking time from the original recipe.
- 6 fish fillets (any white fish)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 dash mace
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle salt over fish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add onions and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add fish and cook until slightly browned, 1-2 minutes.
- Add pepper, ginger, mace and water.
- Cover and cook over low heat until fish is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and zest and stir.
- Remove to a plate and keep warm, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Beat eggs, flour, saffron and parsley together.
- Add the reserved cooking liquid, beating constantly.
- Pour back into pan, stirring constantly.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Do not boil.
- Pour sauce over fish.