Adapted from Pan American's Complete Round the World Cookbook. I've reduced the cooking time from the original recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 fish fillets (any white fish)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 dash mace
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, grated
- 1Sprinkle salt over fish.
- 2Melt butter in a saucepan.
- 3Add onions and saute for 5 minutes.
- 4Add fish and cook until slightly browned, 1-2 minutes.
- 5Add pepper, ginger, mace and water.
- 6Cover and cook over low heat until fish is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- 7Add lemon juice and zest and stir.
- 8Remove to a plate and keep warm, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- 9Beat eggs, flour, saffron and parsley together.
- 10Add the reserved cooking liquid, beating constantly.
- 11Pour back into pan, stirring constantly.
- 12Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Do not boil.
- 13Pour sauce over fish.
Browse Our Top New Zealand Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All New Zealand Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Fish (New Zealand)
Serving Size: 1 (341 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.7
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 176.2 mg
- Sodium 995.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 44.0 g