Recipe by *Alia*
A lovely lemon dessert.
Top Review by Shappy
It tasted really great. The only thing I would suggest is that you leave the cake and the filling to cool until you assemble it. I assembled it almost right away and everything started to slip off and it was just a giant mess. Very yummy however!! Remember LET IT COOL!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Cake: Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease two 8 inch gake pans.
- Cream butter with 1/2 cup sugar untill light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time.
- Blend in milk and vanilla.
- Sift flour and baking powder together, and gradually add this to creamed mixture.
- Beat for 2 minutes.
- Divide batter between pans.
- In another bowl beat egg whites and 1 tsp lemon juice untill soft peaks form.
- gradually add 1 cup sugar, and beat till stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over cake batter in pans.
- Sprinkle Almons on one layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Filling: Mix cornstarch, sugar and milk in a small saucepan, heating over medium heat and stiring constantly.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir a little of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, then add egg mixture to the sauce pan.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- remove from heat and add lemon rind and juice.
- Frosting: Whip cream and sugar till soft peaks form.
- Assemble the cake: place layer without almonds on a serving platter, meringue side down.
- Spread with lemon filling.
- Place second layer on top, almond side up.
- Frost edges of cake with whipped cream.