Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Simply Egg Whites are sold where eggs are in a package or you may use regular egg whites.
- 1 1⁄2 cups simply egg whites (sold where eggs are) or 12 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup cake-and-pastry flour
- 2 (113 g) lemon pie filling
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- In large glass or metal bowl using electric mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar, vanilla and salt until foamy. Gradually add 3/4 cup of the sugar, beating constantly, until mixture holds stiff peaks.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour and remaining sugar. Gently fold flour mixture, one quarter at a time, into egg whites. Spoon batter into un-buttered 10 inch tube pan with removable bottom; smooth top.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Turn pan upside down (if it doesn’t have feet, balance edges on two cans); let cool completely.
- Prepare lemon pie filling according to package instructions, but use ONLY 1 1/4 cups water per package. Press plastic wrap onto surface of pie filling; let cool to room temperature. Whip cream until very thick. Stir a large spoonful of cream into pie filling to lighten it. Fold in remaining cream.
- Using serrated knife, cut cake horizontally into three equal layers. Spread some lemon cream over first layer; top with 1/2 cup of the blueberries; top with next cake layer. Repeat. Spread remaining lemon cream mixture thickly all over cake. Top with remaining blueberries. Store in refrigerator. Makes 12 servings.