Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 16 fluid ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup rice or 1 cup orzo pasta
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Bring broth to boil and add rice or orzo.
- Cook until rice is done.
- Add egg whites to blender and blend until frothy.
- While egg whites are blending, slowly add egg yolks.
- After egg yolks are completely mixed with egg whites, add lemon slowly while mixture is still blending.
- Slowly add 2 cups of chicken broth to blender.
- After everything is well mixed, slowly add contents of blender to remaining broth and rice, stirring constantly.
- Serve hot.
I'm not sure how to rate this as I have never made or eaten avgolemono soup before. There seems to be a high rice to stock ratio in this recipe compared to others and despite using a low salt broth, it seemed quite salty which could be the lemon juice. My DH wasn't keen alhough my toddler ate the rice. It also doesn't thicken so you end up with a rice with eggy froth on top. However it is easy to make and the recipe is clear enough.