Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- coarse sugar
- chopped yellow gumdrop
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- In a big bowl, beat butter (use an electric mixer on medium to high speed) for 30 seconds.
- Add in the sugar, lemon peel, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; beat until combined.
- Beat in the egg, sour cream, and lemon juice until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer; stir in any remaining flour using a wooden spoon.
- Drop dough by slightly rounded tablespoonfuls 3 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until tops are firm.
- Meanwhile make glaze: in a small bowl, stir together the sugar and lemon juice.
- When cookies are done, transfer cookies to a wire rack; brush tops of warm cookies with Lemon Glaze.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar and decorate with chopped gumdrops.
- To store: place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover; store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
I made these to use up lots of fresh lemons and they were a hit. I took them to work and the recipe was requested. I thought they were extremely light. That is a good thing. Perhaps it was because I substituted fat free sour cream. (?)