Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are refreshing and light but have a little something special - a lemon glaze. Note: The grated lemon peel can be omitted if you do not wish to use it.
For the Muffins
- 2 cups all-puporse flour
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) container lemon low fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
For the Glaze
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- To Make the Muffins:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease the bottoms of 12 standard muffin pan cups or line pan with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, butter, egg, and lemon peel; blend until well mixed. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened (the batter will be thick).
- Using a spoon, measuring cup, or ladle, fill greased cups three-quarters full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Place pan on wire rack; cool for 1 minute. Remove muffins from pan and place on wire rack; cool completely.
- Making the Glaze:.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice; mix until smooth.
- Drizzle glaze over each muffin. Sprinkle with lemon peel.
The lemon flavor really shines when using the grated lemon peel in the glaze. I mixed the peel and the icing together. I used a very fine grater for the lemon peel. These muffins had a crunchy texture outside but light texture inside. I got 11 nice sized muffins and they baked up in 17 minutes. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Made for the Lite and Low challenge in the cooking photo forum.