This is one of our favorite Christmas cookie recipes. It's a buttery cookie with a tart lemon curd in the center. The only drawback - they don't stack very well due to the lemon curd filling. But they don't last that long anyway in our house!! My kids love them. Note: serving size is 2 cookies.
- Make Cookie: Combine the 1/2 pound butter and confectioner's sugar in a mixer bowl. Beat together for 30 seconds.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Using 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons dough per cookie, roll into balls and place an inch or 2 apart on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using a glass coated with cooking spray or your hand (I just use my fingers), lightly flatten the balls into a circle. Using your thumb or the back of a 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon, create a dent in the center of each cookie.
- Bake in preheated 350 oven 10-12 minutes. Remove to rack and cool.
- Make lemon Curd: In a small non-reactive saucepan, combine the egg, granulated sugar, 1 1/2 T. butter, lemon juice and lemon rind. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Or, use a double boiler. Let cool 5 minutes. Spoon @ 1/2 t. curd into dent of each cookie. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if desired.
At first I thought the cookie itself (minus the lemon curd) tasted rather plain, but by the next day I was absolutely in love with them! I do have one recommendation, however: adding a tablespoon or two of lemon zest to the cookie dough makes them even better!!
These are so good! They're soooo tender!They're simply amazing! Simple to make, and everyone just loved them. I took some to my neighbors, and they raved also. I could've eaten the filling with a spoon! Just delicious! Thanks so much for sharing! I'll be making these often!
I'm also scouting for new christmas cookies. I loved them. I took a platefull to my hair stylus and she suggested that I make them for our cookie swap. Several other customers tried them as well, and liked them too! I especially liked the lemon curd filling! We had to put them away while my diabetic stepson was here. My point is 7 days later and they still are delicious. They are definity on my Christmas cookie list!