These cookies are Fantastic! Crushed lemon drop candies just make these cookies burst with flavor. This recipe makes quite a bit of cookies and half were inhaled by my family by the end of the day. The recipe orginated by a lady named Ann Orton who was trying to duplicate a recipe that she had had at a restaurant in Salt Lake City. I have no idea what the originals tasted like, but these cookies would be hard to beat.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups Butter Flavor Crisco
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 finely chopped lemon, zest of
- 1 (6 ounce) package lemon drop candies, crushed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In mixing bowl cream sugar, shortening and eggs; add extracts.
- Stir in dry ingredients, lemon zest and crushed lemon drops.
- Roll into 1-inch balls, flatten slightly and bake on parchment-lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes.
- Note: Cooking spray works well too.
- Let cool slightly on pan 1 to 2 minutes.
- Make a glaze by mixing powdered sugar with lemon juice; then brush lightly over cookie tops. Let cookies cool completely.