These cookies are Fantastic! Crushed lemon drop candies just make these cookies burst with flavor. This recipe makes quite a bit of cookies and half were inhaled by my family by the end of the day. The recipe orginated by a lady named Ann Orton who was trying to duplicate a recipe that she had had at a restaurant in Salt Lake City. I have no idea what the originals tasted like, but these cookies would be hard to beat.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups Butter Flavor Crisco
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 finely chopped lemon, zest of
- 1 (6 ounce) package lemon drop candies, crushed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In mixing bowl cream sugar, shortening and eggs; add extracts.
- Stir in dry ingredients, lemon zest and crushed lemon drops.
- Roll into 1-inch balls, flatten slightly and bake on parchment-lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes.
- Note: Cooking spray works well too.
- Let cool slightly on pan 1 to 2 minutes.
- Make a glaze by mixing powdered sugar with lemon juice; then brush lightly over cookie tops. Let cookies cool completely.
These cookies were so good! I crushed my lemon drops in the blender and it worked fine. The
lemon drops make these cookies much more flavorful than other cookies. I would probably half this recipe next time because it does make quite a bit.
So so so good!!! This recipe produced a lot of cookies but they were so tasty that everyone I shared with couldn't help eating them one after another! I loved the crunchiness that lemon drop candies brought into these cookies. Very nice touch! By the way, before baking, just drop the cookie balls, no need to press them and remember to keep at least 2 inches in between two cookie balls because they do expend quite a bit after baking.
Outstanding cookies. The recipe made so many, i didn't think I was ever going to get to the end of the dough. I used Lemonheads, too. I found my blender crushed them up quite efficiently.