Prep 15 mins
Cook 28 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from Betty Crocker.
- 18 ounces betty crocker supermoist lemon cake mix
- vegetable oil, and
- egg, called for on cake mix box
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- 16 ounces betty crocker rich & creamy lemon frosting
- lemon drop candy, if desired (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Line 2 (8-inch) square pans with foil; grease bottoms and sides of pans with shortening or cooking spray.
- Make cake mix as directed on box, using water, oil and eggs. Pour into pans. Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and lemon juice. Poke top of warm cake every 1/2 inch with long-tined fork, wiping fork occasionally to reduce sticking. Drizzle and spread lemon mixture over top of cake. Cover; refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave frosting uncovered on High 15 seconds. On serving plate, place 1 cake, rounded side down. Spread with half of frosting. Top with second cake, rounded side up. Frost top of cake with remaining frosting. Garnish with lemon drop candies. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Follow High Altitude directions on cake mix box for 8-inch pans.