Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins have a subtle lemon flavor. The glaze is a little more lemony and what makes these taste so good, imho.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup plain yogurt (regular or low fat) or 1 cup lemon yogurt (regular or low fat)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Spray 12 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest to a mixing bowl; stir to blend.
- In another bowl, add the yogurt, oil, egg, and vanilla; whisk until smooth.
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients; stir until just combined and moistened (do not overmix).
- Pour batter into muffin cups.
- Bake at 400°for about 20 minutes or until the tops are golden and pick comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly.
- Lemon Drizzle: Add powdered sugar and lemon juice to a small bowl; stir until smooth.
- Drizzle the mixture over the muffins while they are still warm.
- Let muffins cool completely and the drizzle set before taking muffins out of pan.
I was looking for a lemon muffin using oil since family needs to avoid saturated fats. After looking at the other reviews I added 2 tbsp sugar and an additional tsp of lemon zest to boost flavour a bit. Like another reviewer I found the batter too thick to even stir and ended up adding 1/4 cup lemon juice and then enough milk to make a stirrable batter, I didn't measure so not sure how much milk I added but guestimate about 1/2 cup. I made the drizzle thinner with additional lemon juice. I sprayed my pan, didn't use paper liners and had no trouble getting them out of the pan. I got 12 large muffins and my guys enjoyed them but since I made so many adjustments to the original recipe I can only offer 3 stars for this one. I will make them again using the adjustments I made the first time.
These muffins did not turn out as well as I had hoped .. They taste ok but they were difficult to remove from the paper cups, and were somewhat lacking in flavor .. I would make this again but only after some changes .. Thank you
These muffins tasted great, but I had to add almost a whole cup of milk because it was way too thick. 1 cup of flour is definately sufficient, not 2. So I think that should be changed, but after the milk, it tasted pretty good. Maybe a bit oily. :)