Recipe by Perfect Pixie
My best friends mum makes her this cake often and she always brings it into the boarding house to share. It is really yum.
Top Review by everydaychef
Yum! I have made lemon drizzle cake to a similar recipe before, but never used ground almonds. I tried this and it worked really well - adding a subtle, well, 'almondy' flavour! Will definitely use again.
- 225 g unsalted butter, softened
- 225 g caster sugar
- 3 lemons (3 zested, 2 juiced)
- 4 eggs, lightly whisked
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 g ground almonds
- icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Butter and line the base of a 20cm round cake tin.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar in a large bowl using electric hand whisk until pale and creamy.
- Add the lemon zest (reserving half a tsp for the icing) and mix well.
- Gradually whisk the eggs into the butter mix--don't worry if it curdles a bit.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and fold into the egg and butter mix using a large metal spoon or spatula.
- Add the ground almonds and 3/4 of the lemon juice; fold until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Put cake tin on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the remaining lemon juice and zest and enough icing sugar to make a runny icing and then drizzle over top of cake.
- Cool in tin for a further 30 minutes and then remove and cool completely.