Recipe by Colby's Mom
A lovely combination of sweet and tart flavors! The glaze on top really adds the punch!
- 1 large lemon
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters, 4oz)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups cake flour, plus
- 3 tablespoons cake flour
- 1⁄3 cup toasted almond, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup dried peaches, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9x5x3" loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Grate 2 1/2 tsp peel from lemon; squeeze 2 1/2 tbsp juice.
- Beat margarine, 3/4 cup sugar, egg product, peel, and baking powder in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- On low speed, beat in milk, then flour to blend.
- Fold in nuts and fruit.
- Scrape into pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes until a pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan o wire rack 5 minutes before inverting on rack; turn top side up.
- Place on wax paper.
- Pierce bread.
- Mix juice and remaining 2 tbsp sugar; brush on bread, letting it soak before adding more.
- Let cool.
- Cut with a serrated knife to serve.