Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
These lemony cheesecake-like bars are irrestible, and they're a cinch to make. According to the recipe these bars contain only 95 calories and 3 grams of fat. This is a "recipe makeover" recipe. Be sure to use the "light" ingredients to keep these low on calories and fat. HINT: If you can't find a 9 oz. box of single-layer cake mix, use half a package of double-layer cake mix (the 18 oz. box), which equals 2 cups plus 2 tbsp. mix.
- 1 (9 ounce) boxsingle-layer yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup chilled light butter, shredded
- 1 egg white
- 1 (8 ounce) container light cream cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- TO MAKE THE CRUST: Preheat the oven to 350^F. Lightly coat a 13"x9" baking dish with nonstick spray. In a food processor or blender, combine the cake mix, walnuts, butter, and egg white and pulse until crumbly. Press into the prepared baking dish and bake for 10 minutes, or until set. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Do not turn off the oven.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in the milk, lemon juice, egg, and lemon peel. Pour into the partially baked crust, smoothing the surface of the filling. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a rack. Cut into bars.