Recipe by PAFoodie
I found the basis for this recipe years ago and have revised it over the years. Try this tasty rice with fish or chicken. I prefer to use a good quality long grain rice, especially Jasmine, but any rice will do.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper (3 grindings)
- 2 cups water (scant)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Saute the chopped onion for 1 minute.
- Add rice and "parch" over low heat, by stirring until the rice turns white again. Do not let the rice brown.
- Add the rest to the ingredients and bring to boil.
- Lower heat and cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff well with a fork, replace the lid and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Note: The rice turn translucent when mixed with the oil. Sauteing the rice greatly reduces foaming during cooking.