Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love this sauce on gingerbread or fresh fruit, especially strawberries. It is also good on pound cake and ice cream.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
- Stir in boiling water and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil 3 minutes until clear and thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, lemon rind and salt.
A nice, simple sauce. Good on poundcake, just as she said! :) Easy to make.
I think there's too much cornstarch in here, the sauce thickened up so fast and was not pourable at all, had more of a spreadable texture to it. I would cut the constarch down to 2 1/2 teaspoons, and just keep it over a low flame constantly stirring until it got the right consistency. It's basically a good sauce, just needs to be more "saucy".
Quick and easy