Prep 12 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are a great addition to any cookie jar. They have crackled tops and ever so yummy!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- powdered sugar
- Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add sugar, and beat until well blended. Add egg, lemon juice, vanilla extract and lemon peel until blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Gradually combine the dry ingredients into the butter mixture at low speed, blending well after each addition.
- Shape dough into 2 logs about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in deameter. Wrap each log in plastic wrap adn refrigerate 2 - 3 hours. They can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for a later time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spray with cooking oil.
- Slice the cookies 1/2 inch thick, coat them with powdered sugar and place them 1-inch apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until the edges are lightly brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store them in an airtight container. If you have a sweet tooth, you can also dip the cookies again in powdered sugar before serving them.