Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe from a website ages ago, but it is all faded I can't see the link anymore. Been making this pudding for years with great success....which explains the faded website link. If you are a fan of lemons, I think you will like this unique sweet.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 50 g butter, softened
- 3 lemons, zest of
- 1⁄3 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 3 lemons juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Wash the lemons well, remove the zest from two and then juice all three.
- Separate eggs.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add half the caster sugar, a little at a time, until it is fully incorporated and the mixture is glossy.
- Cream the butter with the rest of the caster sugar and the lemon zest.
- Add the egg yolks, then the flour, lemon juice and milk.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add a little of the meringue mix, then gently fold in the remainder.
- Tip into a pudding basin.
- Stand the basin in a baking dish, then half fill the baking dish with luke-warm water.
- This will stop the base of the pudding from burning.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top has set and is lightly browned.
The DH declared this as being the closest to my old recipe (long lost) and I honestly think it would have been if I hadn't mucked it up a bit (didn't really get the egg whites incorporated properly). I did only use the zest of 1 lemon and the 3 lemons gave me a cup of juice (1 lemon gave me half a cup). Baked for 45 minutes at 160C fan forced oven.
This is one of those forms-a-3/4"-cake-layer-on-top puddings. It had to cool down to thicken up the lower pudding layer and after 3-4 hours the meringue was weeping. Or, it's quite possible I screwed something up. At any rate this was a lemon lover's delight, I just needed to schedule serving time correctly.