Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A light delicate treat!!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 ounces butter
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks, unbeaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 9 inch pie shell, baked
- whipped cream or meringue (from 3 egg whites)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Mix sugar and cornstarch.
- Combine with butter, lemon juice, egg yolks and milk.
- Cook in top of a double boiler until thick and cooked.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- When cool, stir in sour cream.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Serve with whipped cream or make meringue with 3 egg whites.
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- In Mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Pile meringue lightly on cooled pie making sure it touches edge of pastry to prevent it from shrinking.
- Bake five to six minutes.
Very good pie. I topped it with a meringue, very easy to make. The filling is smooth and the sugar to lemon ratio is perfect. It took about 15 minutes to brown the meringue. I'll make this again.
I'm so sorry, but we really didn't care for this filling. I think what we didn't like is the sour cream. The sour cream flavor was a bit overwhelming. The lemon mixture tasted good before we added the sour cream. It must just be a personal preference thing, which is why I chose not to rate it.
Great recipe! Made it for the employees at work. It's easy to make, has a great flavour, not too sweet not too tart. Thanks!