Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
A simple, delicious make ahead dessert. Comes from Bon Appetit and found on the Epicurious website.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 7 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place 4 custard cups in medium baking pan.
- Whisk together sugar, egg yolks and lemon rind in a large bowl.
- Whisk in cream, lemon juice and nutmeg.
- Divide equally among cups.
- Add enough hot water to pan to come halfway up sides of cups.
- Bake with rack positioned in center of oven until custard is set around edges, but still moves slightly in center when gently shaken, about 55 minutes.
- Transfer cups to rack and cool slightly.
- Cover and chill until cold for at least 8 hours.
- Serve topped with whipped cream.
These were good with whipped cream laced with rum. I did use a little more lemon juice (1/3 cup vs 1/4 cup) and the flavor was nice.