Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This intensely flavored lemon tart is the perfect finale to a lovely meal. From Bon Appetit, April 1994.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 7 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 3⁄4 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 -3 tablespoon sugar, to taste
- Combine sugar, butter, lemon juice and lemon zest in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and butter melts.
- Whisk eggs in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in sugar mixture. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes; do not boil.
- Pour into bowl. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead.).
- Mix flour and salt in processor. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water and blend until dough begins to clump together. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 11-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Trim edges. Pierce pastry all over with fork. Freeze 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Line pastry with foil. Fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake until sides are set, about 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and beans and bake until crust is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer crust to rack and cooll completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Spread lemon filling in crust. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Spoon whipped cream into pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe whipped cream rosettes around top edge of tart.