Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This puffs up just like a souffle and is airy and tart and sweet and ... lovely!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated,whites at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 lemons, zest of, grated
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly butter a 9 x 2 inch round cake pan.
- Have ready another larger pan and hot water.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, and beat in lemon juice, flour and zest.
- Add milk and cream.
- Beat whites in separate bowl with salt until it holds stiff peaks.
- Stir ¼ of white mixture into lemon mixture to lighten and then fold in remaining whites.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan, set in large pan, and add enough hot water to come halfway up sides.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until just set and top is golden.
- Serve warm.
This was absolutely wonderful. We recommend using a regular souffle dish since the 9" diameter by 2" deep was too small to hold all of the batter.