Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These biscuits are really morish! and so quick and easy to make.
- 4 ounces butter
- 6 ounces sugar
- 8 ounces flour
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces currants
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large lemon, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Add grated lemon rind and dry ingredients.
- Add currants.
- Roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls and place on lightly greased baking tray.
- Press balls lightly with fork.
- (dip fork in flour and shake off excess).
- Bake 180'-190'C (Gas mark 4) for about 15-20 minutes- or until they are just slightly golden in colour- not browned.
Wow, for me and my husband, it was instant love at first bite. I love lemon so I doubled the lemon rind and as I didn't have currants at the time, I used sultanas. So simple and quick to make. Can't wait to try these with currants.
I had to adjust the cooking time, going only 15 minutes instead, and finding a way to get the seeds out would also be appealing. They end up rather crumbly (think sugar cookies) so next time, I'm adding a bit more flour to try and hold them together better. I also added some lemon juice as well, which helps the lemon balance even with the strong taste of currants. Lastly, I agree with Mrs. P. You are _quite_ correct when you speak of how wonderful they smell!
These biscuits are sooo delicious and smell wonderful while they are cooking. I made them with my son and he couldn't stop eating them as they came out of the oven!!