Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found this in Williams Sonoma's "Dessert" book. I'm *pretty* sure the friend who bought me this book did so because she wanted me to make these lemon square. :) Without a doubt THE best I've had!
For the Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For the Filling
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven 350F and lightly grease an 8" square pan, preferably glass.
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Pulse briefly until blended.
- Add the butter pieces and pulse until the dough forms moist crumbs and sticks together when pinched -- about one minute.
- There should be no trace of dryness.
- Press the dough into the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of the prepared baking dish, lightly flouring your fingertips if necessary to prevent them from sticking.
- Bake the crust until pale golden, 20 - 22 minutes.
- Let the crust cool completely on a rack.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
- To make the filling, whisk together the sugar, flour, salt and zest.
- Add the eggs, lemon juice and cream and whisk until just blended.
- Carefully pour the filling mixture over the baked, cooled crust.
- Bake until the filling is set but still jiggles *slightly* when the baking dish is gently shaken -- about 20 - 22 minute (or longer, if using a metal pan).
- Let cool on a rack for about 30 minutes.
- Run the tip of a small knife along the inside of the dish to loosen the crust from the sides, then let cool completely.
- Cut into 12 small rectangles and carefully remove from the dish with a spatula.
- Sift a dusting of confectioner's sugar over the rectangles just before serving.