Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Delicious lemon curd dessert from Bev Bennett.
- 3⁄4 cup gingersnap crumbs, about 14 gingersnaps
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 3 large strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- To make crust, combine gingersnap crumbs, butter and sugar in a bowl; stir with a fork to dampen crumbs.
- Pat crumbs on bottom and up sides of a 7-inch tart pan with a removable bottom; bake for 10 minutes or until firm and slightly browned; remove from oven and cool completely.
- To make filling, beat eggs and egg yolks together in a heavy-bottomed pan; add 3/4 cup sugar and beat; add lemon juice and butter.
- Cook lemon mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly for 5-10 minutes or until thickened to the consistency of pudding.
- Remove the curd from the heat.
- If it's lumpy, strain through a wire strainer.
- Place curd in a bowl and completely chill; when curd is cold, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar with whipping cream in a bowl and beat until stiff; fold lemon curd into the whipped cream mixture.
- Gently spoon lemon mixture into the prepared tart crust; chill 1-2 hours.
- Just before serving, wash strawberries and pat dry; remove stems, thinly slice berries lengthwise and arrange over the tart.