Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
From the local paper.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten eggs, plus extra if needed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, plus extra if needed
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
For lemon curd
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 8 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 pinch salt
- To prepare cookies:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and lemon juice and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Reduce speed to low, add flour and salt and mix until incorporated (if dough is too stiff to pipe, add an additional 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice or beaten egg).
- Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a #21 round tip.
- On prepared baking sheets, press dough into a 1-inch wide coil, building up two layers of dough.
- Repeat with remaining dough, placing cookies 2 inches apart.
- Bake until cookies are set but not browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and quickly make indentations in centers of cookies with the end of a wooden spoon.
- Cool cookies on baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare lemon curd:.
- In a double boiler over gently simmering water, combine egg and sugar, whisking continually.
- Add butter, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt and continue whisking until curd is thickened and has reached 160 degrees.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a small spoon, fill centers of cookies with lemon curd.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 1 week.