1/2 Photos of Lemon Curd Butterfly Cakes
These are gorgeous little cupcakes - for your eyes and tastebuds! You may make the filling with orange curd (replace lemon with 1 large orange) instead of lemon or quite simply fill them up with whipped cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cakes
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 0.25 ml salt
- 110 g butter (at room temperature)
- 110 g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
For the curd filling
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 1Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5/375F/190°C.
- 2You will need a 12-cup muffin tin lined with cupcake baking cases.
- 3To make the cakes, sift the flour and salt in a bowl.
- 4Then add in the rest of the ingredients in bowl and beat until absolutely smooth - 1-2 minutes.
- 5Then fill prepared muffin tin with the mixture and tap the tin two or three times to settle the cake mix.
- 6Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cakes are well risen and golden.
- 7Remove the cakes from the tin and transfer onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
- 8To make the lemon curd, place the grated lemon rind and sugar in a bowl.
- 9In another bowl, whisk the lemon juice together with the eggs, then pour the mixture over the sugar.
- 10Add the butter cut into small pieces, and place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
- 11Stir frequently till thickened - for about 20 minutes.
- 12Cool the curd before using it for the filling (these can be stored in a clean dry jar with a screw-top lid, refrigerated and used within a week).
- 13To assemble the cake, take a small sharp knife and cut the top off each at an angle in a circle about ½ inch (1 cm) from the edge of the cake so that you remove a cone-shaped round, leaving a cavity in the centre.
- 14Cut the round in half, top to bottom, and set aside.
- 15Now fill the cavity of each cake with the lemon curd then sit the two cone-shaped pieces of cake on top like butterfly wings.
- 16Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Curd Butterfly Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (902 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.2
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 99.0 mg
- Sodium 274.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of