Recipe by Sherrie-pie
This recipe comes from the Daily Mail's Leith's Recipe of the Day. I made some yesterday for our Brownie Pack's Tsunami fundraising event and they, along with my brownies (I used Recipe no 13729 - not my recipe! But a good one!) were sold out. Try them for something different. I did need more than the amount below of lemon juice for the glaze. The recipe says "10 minutes" prep time. I think they're talking about professionals. I'm "just" a housewife - it took me a while longer. But worth it.
Top Review by Aunt Cookie
These were lovely muffins, even without the glaze (I was too lazy to glaze them, I have to admit). I was able to get 12 mini muffins and 4 regular-sized muffins from this. I'm sure they'll be well received at work tomorrow. For Americans using this recipe...I used 3/4 c flour, 5 tb. granulated sugar, a little more than 1/2 c milk, 4 tb. butter, and 1.5 tb. powdered sugar (I think the glaze would call for 1/4 cup powdered sugar). Thanks for the recipe!
- 170 g plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 70 g caster sugar
- 2 finely grated lemons, zest of
- 125 ml milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50 g butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 55 g cream cheese
- 20 g icing sugar
FOR THE GLAZE
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 55 g icing sugar, sieved
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F and line a muffin pan with paper cases.
- Sift flour, baking powder and caster sugar together.
- Add lemon zest.
- Mix together the milk, egg, butter, lemon curd and vanilla essence.
- Mix together the cream cheese and icing sugar in a seperate bowl.
- Make a well in centre of the dry ingredients, quickly stir in the wet ingredients using no more than 12 strokes.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the muffin mix into the base of the muffin pans.
- Pop a fraction (1/6th) of the cream cheese mixture on top and then cover with the remaining muffin mixture.
- The tins should be almost full to the top.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the icing sugar and lemon juice together.
- Remove the muffins from their tins, cool for five minutes and then drizzle with the glaze.