Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The ultimate lemon curd. Recipe can be increased as much as you like. Serve with scones, biscuits, toast etc. Can be used as a tart filling, cake filling and as an ingredient in lemon buttercream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 1⁄2 ounces granulated sugar
- 3 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of, finely grated (optional)
- In a non-reactive saucepan, whisk yolk and sugar until well combined.
- Add remaining ingredients except lemon zest.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly (Do not whisk), until thickened and you see the first bubble.
- DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- Pour through strainer, stir in zest.
- chill in refrigerator with plastic wrap pressed on top of curd to prevent skin forming.
Yes, this is the ultimate lemon curd. Perfect texture, taste and colour. Very easy to make. Excellent directions. The final cooking temp is 190*F if anyone wants to use a thermometer.
This is an excellent base recipe for fruit curds. The lemon was outstanding, nicely smooth and tart. I also made lime curd: lime juice and zest were used in equal amounts for the lemon; sugar was decreased to 1/2 cup; final temp was 185-degrees. And a blood orange curd: 1 cup of blood orange juice was reduced in the microwave by half; same amount of zest was used; sugar was decreased to 1/2 cup, and final temp again was 185-degrees. I'm hard-pressed to say which I liked the best. Rock on.
Excellent! Great filling for lemon cupcakes! Make a double batch to fill 24 cupcakes.