Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- salt, a pinch
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- Set a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until blended.
- Stir in the lemon zest and juice, salt, and butter and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens, 7-10 minutes (do not let the custard boil, or it will curdle).
- The mixture should leave a path on the back of a wooden spoon when you draw your finger across it.
- Immediately strain the mixture through the sieve, pressing it through with a rubber spatula.
- Set the bowl containing the lemon mixture in a large bowl filled about 1/3 of the way up with ice water (be careful that the water doesn’t splash into the lemon mixture).
- Stir the mixture frequently until it is slightly chilled, about 15 minutes.
- Cover the surface of the curd with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.