Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A Lemon Curd that can go with almost any of your baking needs. For a lime-curd variation, substitute lime rind and juice for the lemon rind and juice.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- Combine the first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a whisk. Cook until sugar dissolves and mixture is light in color (about 3 minuets).
- Stir in lemon juice and butter; cook for 5 minuets or until mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Cover and chill. The mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Note: Lemon Curd can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. You can easily double this recipe and freeze half of it in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Thaw in the refrigerator, and use with in 1 week of thawing.