Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Cool off on a hot summer night with one of these refreshing lemon-ice treats.
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 -5 lemons
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (from the lemons)
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- mint leaf
- lemon zest
- Scrape the 2 teaspoons of zest from one of the lemons, then cut all of the lemons in half and juice them. Measure 1 cup, reserving the rest for another use.
- Use a melon baller to remove any remaining pulp. Slightly trim the bottom of each lemon cup so it sits flat, then set them on a plate, cover, and place them in the refrigerator.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water and sugar over medium heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring the water to a boil, then add the lemon juice and zest and boil for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the liquid to a mixing bowl and allow it to cool to room temperature. Place the bowl in the freezer until the mixture begins to freeze, several hours or overnight. Use a fork to break up the ice, then stir it until fluffy.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the slush into each lemon half, then cover them and freeze until you're ready to serve. Garnish with a mint leaf and lemon zest before serving, if you like.