Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Lemon-desserts, mmmmm. One of my favourite.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease eight (6 ounce) custard cups; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, flour and butter/margarine.
- Add lemon peel and lemon juice; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix egg yolks and milk.
- Add to cream mixture and stir.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Pour into cups.
- Place in baking pan and add one inch of water to pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden.
Yummy! Was even better when backed in a lemon that had been hallowed out. Added an extra zing of lemon and made for a great presentation. Just cut a little off the bottom of several (8-12) large lemons so they will sit up then cut the top 1/3 off each lemon. Hallow out the pulp of the lemon using a melon baller or other creative tool. Don't forget to wrap the lemon in foil before placing it in the water bath. Save the top of the lemon for a fun garnish when serving this yummy treat.
Seeing NoraMaries's photo made for having to give this recipe a try and have to agree it's a five alright! Made as posted and found it a lovely, light and lemony dessert and yes delicious! Will be making this one again. Thank you for sharing one of your favorites.
These lemon cakes were very easy to make. Took no time at all. Are just sweet enough when you want a "sweet treat". I just put a little cool whip on top for extra pizzaz!! Betty