Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a lemony, light-tasting dessert. Looks great, so it's good enough for guests. It separates into two layers, with a creamy custard on the bottom and light as air cake on the top.
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Stir together the sugar, flour, salt, and lemon zest.
- Mix in butter until well combined and finely textured.
- Stir in egg yolks.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Stir in the milk.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and carefully fold into mixture.
- Pour into 8 (lightly greased with butter) custard cups.
- Put custard cups into a large baking dish and carefully pour in hot water to surround the cups and come no more that halfway up.
- Bake in a preheated 325F oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm.
I made this for a dinner party and it won rave reviews. It is a very light ending with a perfect lemony flavor. I made them early in the day, not finishing the last 10 minutes of cooking time until right before they were served. I could not have picked a better dessert for a big meal.
These are very popular in my family. My mom has been making them for years and we all love them. They are very lemony and the meringue-like topping is fantastic.
Its full of lemon flavor,will make again